December 29, 2009

Out with the Cold, in with the Flu

This year I decided I’d make a true effort to have the Christmas spirit and be festive. I decorated my house, I listened to the music, I read stories to my kids, I watched movie, after movie, after movie. I joyfully purchased gifts for my family and baked goodies for the neighbors. I drank eggnog by the gallon.

What I didn’t do was dance like a sugar plum fairy around my home with a can of Lysol.

Trust me – that WILL be on the list for next year.

Just days before Christmas I was given the gift that keeps on giving. A virus.

I speedily sought medical attention from my trusty local doctor. I whined a bit about how Christmas was in two days and I’d sure like to enjoy it. Seems that he too was in the giving spirit this year, because he kindly gave me my second gift of Christmas – a penicillin shot in the buttocks. (This was administered by his nurse in case you were worried, like my hubby.)

Funny thing about viruses…. how they don’t respond to antibiotics and all that. Drat.

In fact, I’ll share with you this tasty morsel that I found out by Googling the word “Virus”: Antibiotics do not harm a virus, they are shape-shifters -- they mutate from one cold season to the next.

The phrase “shape-shifters” makes you think that viruses are all sci-fi or something. Here’s what it really means: BUCKLE UP!

Okay, fine, I understand that there is opposition in all things. I may not necessarily embrace the statement, but I acknowledge it as fact. Virus = Opposition.

Here’s my beef. Can’t our pal Opposition take a little break for the holidays? I mean him and his minions work hard all year to ruin plans and cause heartache. You’d think that he’d like a little time to sit by the fire (or IN it), surrounded by his friends of darkness, and reflect on the past year and the problems they’ve caused. Maybe use the time to vamp up for the New Year. I’m just sayin’…

Well, here’s what I have to say to you Mr. Opposition. You may have my body. You’ve done your best to get in the way of my carefully crafted holiday cheer! You’ve got my sore throat, crusty eyes, runny nose, cough and general intestinal discomfort. But you’ll NEVER have my mind. No sir!

I will rise above your reign of terror and sing Christmas songs even though it makes my head hurt and my throat feel scabby. I will revel in opening gifts from my loved ones. I will set aside a bowl of goodies for when I can taste again.

And last, but not least, I will spike the eggnog with Sudafed and drink until the pain goes away.

Hmm... maybe this whole virus thing wasn’t so bad after all. I’ll let you know when the drugs wear off…..

1 comment:

Camille said...

Nobody can make being sick quite as funny as you...I mean because of your writings, not because seeing you sick was funny. :) Such a bummer that you were sick though! Hope you get better fast!