February 12, 2010

Oh Wal-Mart....

Few things cause more debate among my family and friends than Wal-Mart.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't much to argue. Let's be honest here, who doesn’t like wandering around a store filled with cheap stuff?! I mean you can find pretty much anything you want at Wal-Mart and leave feeling like you’ve stuck it to ‘em, even though those prices were on purpose.

Then there’s the entertainment factor. Anyone worth their salt has visited the website http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ and come away feeling quite glamorous. Has it occurred to anyone else that the fact there is such a website is a bit troubling? This means that the average Wal-Mart customer is completely stark-raving mad (or as my friend Jen says, bat-sh** crazy)!

I’ve often wondered about the shady patrons of my local Wal-Mart. I never see them out and about on the town. I don’t see those spandex wearing fools at the library, the video rental place, local restaurants, or even gas stations. I ONLY see them at Wal-Mart. Where do they come from?

As an added bonus, Wal-Mart has joined forces with another mega-power – McDonalds. I feel like adding a McDonald’s inside Wal-Mart has made the situation feel more like going to the zoo. You can now eat while you wander around staring at the strange people/cave-men who are there shopping. It’s better than Discovery Channel. And for people like me, living without cable, this is about as entertaining as it gets!

Now, on the other hand, I will give the dissenters a knod; Wal-Mart does have some downsides. For starters, it is one of those big mean enterprises that destroys the hopes and dreams of Mom and Pop establishments nationwide. (If they had a hand in the down-fall of 3D Video then I'm going to punch their CEO in the throat!)

Also, their employees are often a bit much. I was recently standing in the checkout line and killing time by people watching when I realized, shockingly, that I know the life story of roughly 75% of the local Wal-Mart cashiers. That’s disconcerting to me, because I can’t even remember the names of half of my neighbors, but I know that “Deb’s” daughter just had her first baby and “Karen’s” new tattoo is itching her bad. Yikes!

As I’m sitting here pondering, I really can’t think of anything else bad about Wal-Mart. I hate people that complain about it but shop there anyway. You get what you pay for people. And until the masses stop going, there will always be Wal-Mart.

However, if you’re looking for a cheap Valentine’s date this weekend, may I suggest an evening of Big Macs and voyeurism! And for dessert, you can’t find Ben & Jerry’s ice-cream cheaper anywhere else!

May Wal-Mart keep your pocket-books, and your love, alive and well! Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

Camille said...

I have a love-hate relationship with Walmart. I hate that I love it. Oh well...just can't beat the prices! And really, where else are you going to see an albino african american? (Rude? Yes. Craziest thing I've ever seen? YES! And no, it was not just a white person...I promise.)

Emily said...

It's true that strange people seem to come out of the woodwork at Wal-Mart... I never see them anywhere else. But it's true - the prices do keep our pocket-books happy!