I’ve watched enough interviews with various members of the powerful Kennedy clan to know that they have a long held tradition of stimulating and intellectual dinnertime conversations. They would discuss both foreign and domestic politics, service opportunities, local and national news etc. This is something I’ve admired about their family. I mean, it’s obviously served them well! They are a highly successful family – even if they are cursed.
When Steve and I became parents I made a point of having regular family dinner. And, in keeping up with the Kennedy’s, I thought it would be fun to have dinner time be open for discussions on a variety of subjects. I had dreams of propelling my progeny toward successful lives. Someday they’d be on Oprah’s couch talking about how their mother gently guided them via the dinner table. It was going to be beautiful!
Yep – that’s what I get for dreaming. Here is a very small sampling of some of the hot topics from the Hadley Dinner Table:
Dinosaurs –
Cadie Lu: Did you know that carnivores walked on their back legs, had tiny front legs and ate meat?
Me: Really? Well, what about herbivores?
Cadie Lu: Hmm…. Well, sure. I know all about herbivores. They have three legs and two tails.
Neutering / Getting Fixed -
Ms. Els: Did you know that Jasper (the dog) went to the doctor and they cut off his bum and took out the part that makes babies?
Cadie Lu: They cut off his bum? Well, they must have sewed it back on because he still has a bum.
Els: Yes, he has a bum silly. He’s just missing the big part that makes babies.
Cadie Lu: Oh, is that why he has a funny chunk on the back with a line? (surgery scar)
Els: Yes, that’s right. We wouldn’t want him to have puppies. They’d be running all over the place and making a mess.
Cadie: And, his bum would sure look funny all full of puppies!
Death –
Cadie Lu: Did you know that something really sad happened to Ms. Teia’s (preschool teacher) cat?
Me: Yes, I heard he died
Cadie Lu: He did die. But it’s okay, he’ll come back soon.
Me: Really? How’s he going to do that?
Cadie Lu: Easy. He’ll just fall right out of the sky!
Els: Uh… nice try Cades. Get real. Cats don’t just fall out of the sky!
Now, I understand that my children are young. But, I’m a bit worried about what I now see as my “pipe dream”! It’s clear that if we continue down this conversational path we’re never going to get to politics or philanthropic opportunities. Nope, we’re going to end up discussing farts and where to get the best cheeseburgers.
While the Kennedy’s raised America’s royalty, I’m just raising America’s garbage men….
9 years ago

3 comments:
Oh my gosh...seriously hilarious. At least your kids will be funny garbage men.
You are sooooo funny and your lovely daughters have obviously inherited your keen sense of humour, they just don't know it yet. Love the neuter talk. And if it makes you feel any better (or worse) my kids are all but grown and we're still talking about farts and other asundry happy talk at the table.
I disavow any knowledge of said conversations...It's not me, I swear!
Post a Comment