November 22, 2010

Thankful For...

Oh come on, it's the week of Thanksgiving. Of course I'm going to do a totally cliche post about the things I'm thankful for. Or am I?
I could begin by saying something about how lovely it is to sit here listening to my three kids playing down in the freshly cleaned playroom while I dabble on-line.

But the truth is that I can smell J-Bear's poopy diaper from up here and it's almost potent enough to ruin my festive mood. No worries, I'll continue to deny the truth until I've wrapped up this post.

Now, to the point of my rambling.

So this morning I was - gasp - thinking about things I'm thankful for and the obvious "big guys" made the list such as family, friends, faith and freedom. Oh, hey, how about that. They all start with "F". That's Fantastic and Freaky.

Anyhow, I started thinking more about the freedom thing - even though it isn't July, I believe it's okay to be grateful for my freedoms - and the thing that struck me is how I always think about the big freedoms like freedom of religion or freedom of speech, but what I never think about is the "Freedom From's".

So, today, in honor of the looming Thanksgiving holiday, I present a short glimpse of my Freedom From's list:


1- I'm grateful that I have the freedom to NOT eat anchovies. Ever. And no one cares.

2 - I'm grateful that I'm free to NOT consume tofurkey. And as a side note, I'm thankful for my my carnivorous family. Holla!

3 - I'm grateful that even though I pretend to have the knowledge, I will NEVER have to change my own flat tire. (Yes, I tempted fate by throwing that in. But my dad will live forever because I said so.)

4 - I'm grateful that I'm free from faux friendships with rude-butt-jerks and Debbie Downers. I can choose my own friends. And I have the freedom to NOT feel guilty about that.

I don't want to bore you with my rather lengthy list - there are a few Chuck Norris references on there that not everyone would relate to - but let's just say that there are a lot of things that I don't have to deal with thanks to our founding fathers.

And that leaves me with plenty of FREE time to focus on the things that I really enjoy.

What are you happy to be free from?

1 comment:

Camille said...

Ha ha...nice spin on the Thankful season. :) I'm thankful for the ability to delete friends on Facebook, because I do NOT have to keep them around if they're crazy.