January 18, 2011

New Doctor, Please?

One of the hazards of celebrating a birthday as a young child is that you have to then go see the pediatrician for a Well Child exam.

Happy 5th Birthday Cadie Lu!!!


As soon as the balloons had deflated and the sugar rush had calmed down, we once again found ourselves in the waiting room staring at a fish tank.

The pediatrician is quite tricksy (aren't they all?) and always has his nurse be the "heavy" and administer shots and all things yucky. He just breezes in, tickles some tummies, looks in their ears and breezes back out. They love him. They are terrified of his nurse.


I had debated throughout the morning whether or not to tell Cadie Lu that she'd most likely be getting shots as this is her last visit before starting kindergarten in the fall.

I finally broke the news to her over lunch. I handled it with finesse and empathy. (Ha ha... I could hardly type that with a straight face!!) I pretty much just slapped the info on the counter with her pbj and let her chew on it for a while.

When we got to the doctor's office the dreaded nurse, Nurse "M", had Cadie weigh, measured her height, tested her eyes and then asked for a urine sample. Uh... I believe I had blocked that memory from when I took Ms. Els, because I'd forgotten. Cadie was willing to get on the pot, but she was looking at the pee-catching cup like it was an alien and it might try to... well... you know. No urine sample. Surprise, surprise.

Then Nurse M led us to our room and told us to wait a minute.

No sooner had the door had closed behind her, Cadie Lu turned to me and said, "Uh, Mama, I'm gonna need a new doctor."

Me: Why?

Cadie Lu: 'Cause that one will be back and I think she'll be bringing the shot. Can you get me a new doctor?

So I told her that would be fine and her face was all aglow with love for me when the actual pediatrician walked in. Super-Mom to the rescue!!


Imagine her surprise when Nurse M showed up later... needle and all.

He he he he... It was such a good trick!


Really people, isn't it all about finding joy in the mundane?


(How much was truth and how much was fiction? I'll never tell!)

1 comment:

Emily said...

Poor Cadie Lou, those shots stink! I'm not looking foward to the day Brooklyn knows they are coming. Glad she had a good birthday and checked out well, and good work with the sneakiness of making her think she got a new doctor! ;)