I truly thought about titling this post "Ode to Siblings", but went with the more catchy "Helmet Head - The Follow-Up", because that is how this came to be.
After reading my previous post, my youngest sister, Emily, emailed me a picture she somehow had on her computer that showed the infamous Helmet Head of my 9th grade year. I have no idea how she had this classy Olan Mills 90's photo ready to go in digital form, but I appreciate that Emily is nothing if not a collector of nostalgia.
So, without further ado, I give you Helmet Head.
![]() |
| Me sporting my mom's hair cut, as discussed previously. |
But I actually gave you SO MUCH MORE than just Helmet Head by posting this pic. Oh yes. I gave you a juicy, delicious little morsel to digest for the next few days. Feel free to come back time and time again to laugh with giddy delight over the many layers of FABULOUS that are happening here.
For a few minutes I did think about cropping out the siblings, considering this is a post about my hair. But, I couldn't resist taking a moment to let them share my spotlight!
In order to be fair, let's take a look at me first. It's clear that I'm the only one who has hit puberty because I look like their mother. The haircut is only making the photographer wonder just how young I was when Ben was born. I'm like a giant in the middle of midgetville. Sad. I appreciate the jaunty touch of having me pose in such a sporty and fun way. It's like I'm saying, ''don't be fooled by my mom hair and mom jeans, I'm a fun gal with lots to offer''. I kept saying that all through junior high.
Speaking of jeans, wait, not just jeans...rolled up jeans and stonewashed jeans, and nice white socks. We were clearly fashion icons. I'm surprised Olan Mills didn't blow up this timeless gem into a 2000x10000 canvas and hang it in their showroom in order to lure other families in.
The thing I'm loving about the t-shirts is that my bro and I have matchy, matchy shirts. This takes the t-shirts to a much classier place than just the regular sad white numbers my sisters are sporting. It would have been nice if the logo were some company we've heard of - Nike for example. But no, we're going with the no name brand in order to maintain some sense of humility. It's a nice touch I believe.
(That's right - I put the picture in again. I wouldn't want my dear reader to have to scroll
back up in order to see what I'm referencing. You're welcome.)
Speaking of nice touches. What's the haps with my sister, Camille's, shoes? I don't recall her being an avid bowler at this point in her life. I'm pretty sure she was, like, 8 or something in this picture. But what starts out as confusing instantly becomes artistic when she adds in complimentary neon shoelaces, and then plops herself dead center and eye level in this photo. She is clearly an attention hog / lost middle-ish child.
Emily really steals the show here as the one smart enough to stand in the back. We don't know what shoes she's wearing, we don't know if her shoelaces are up to the caliber of Camille's, maybe her socks are a dingy yellowish color. All we know is that she's a free and easy (in a good way) lady with her sassy arms-crossed stance and her cheeky little smile. Nicely played, Em. Nicely played.
Now, let's discuss the fact that Ben's eyes are slightly closed in a dead sexy, I'm-a-fox-and-I-know-it-but-I'm-too-tired-to-give-this-my-full effort look. How did this picture get chosen to represent our family forever when Ben looks like he's coming off a bad allergic reaction? Also, I'd like to give him a shout out for his stellar front wave he has going on with his hair. He was clearly intimidated by the Helmet and wanted a piece of the pie for himself. I also give him a nod for attempting to cross his gangly limbs into a relaxed and friendly pose.
Overall I have to say that Emily did me a real service by emailing this picture to me. It made me feel like maybe the Helmet wasn't as horrible as I'd thought, when compared....
Okay. It was.


3 comments:
Words can't begin to convey the feelings I have as the papa bear to these cubs. Oh the memories.
I'm trying NOT to laugh - because it's nap time, but this is hilarious! I have tears in my eyes. The real reason I had this pic was I used it in my wedding video - it's a timeless gem of our childhood. I can't stop laughing about Ben's smile and hair - oh how he has changed! And I'm pretty sure Camille lovingly passed those shoes down to me and I wore them every day of my life. :)
This picture is so dang awesome! We are quite a foxy bunch.
And I've decided the only explanation for my shoes is that we were too poor to buy new shoe laces when they broke, so I used whatever the heck I could find. :) I am pretty sure I LOVED those shoes too...so sad.
Post a Comment