Dear Grandpa,
I would never have thought to blog about this if you hadn't told me not to. Thanks for the tip.
Your ever-loving granddaughter,
Aspen
*******************************
This past week I've been lucky enough to have my Grandparents staying with me while they've been in town visiting with my brother. They didn't stay there 'cause he's very ill... thus the visit. Also, I'm just more fun. Plus, where else can they sleep on side by side twin beds - a total flashback to their favorite old sitcom couples? Also, it's great to be woken up by crying babies, to step on toys while going barefoot around the house, get hit in the head with toy swords and get hit by sprinklers while attempting a walk around the park.
It just so happened that their first morning with us was J-Bear's birthday. So they actually got a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, bananas, chocolate milk and... grape jelly. Yep. I even whipped out the jelly for the occasion.
No sooner had we sat down to eat then Grandpa - while attempting to assist J-Bear with chocolate milk mixing - spilled his entire glass of chocolate milk all over my wishes-it-were-pristine kitchen floor. Oh man. Grandma and I just started laughing while Grandpa apologized and got to cleaning it up. My kids don't ever know if they can laugh about spills or not, so they were pretty quiet at first.
To those sympathetic to the geriatric set who are wondering why I made my poor old Grandpa clean up his own mess, I will tell you that my only reason is because it was funny. And I was holding a baby.
As Grandpa scrubbed with a towel he laughed about how that was exactly why my uncle jokingly bought him a sippy cup to use when dining with them. Ha ha ha. Love it. I'm tucking away that info for their next visit!
Anyhow, throughout the day I did my best to resurrect his embarrassment. I told my family about his spill. I suggested he leave a $5 bill on the kitchen counter before leaving as I'm not made of money. I even told him that the next morning at breakfast I'd just pour his milk directly on the floor and cut out the middle part.
All in good fun I assure you. Who do you think taught me how to tease?
So, later that night I'm out to dinner with just my little family for J-Bear's birthday. And disaster struck. Karma came right around like a boomerang doing 1000 mph and slapped me sideways. That's right, I think you can guess what happened.
I spilled an entire drink on the floor of the restaurant.
Sure, it was McDonald's, but hey, it was my just desserts.
I'm sure I blushed a little as I sought out an employee to ask for rags and then even more when they insisted they'd clean it up and my family had to stand next to our table - out of their way - while they mopped. I'm pretty sure no one else in the place even noticed what was happening (sarcasm).
Of course, in my quest to be honest and laugh at myself I told my Grandma about it at J-Bear's birthday party later.
And that snitch ran straight to Grandpa with the story. I see where her loyalties are!
Oh, ho, ho was Grandpa thrilled with this latest development. He repeated my steps of persecution by telling my entire family and saying something sassy about how at least his wasn't in public. I'm pretty sure he offered to purchase me a sippy cup.
Touche Grandpa, Touche!
So, folks, I guess I believe that Karma is real. It has to be. After all, if my Grandpa hadn't been such a sassafrass his entire life then Karma wouldn't have given him a sassy pants granddaughter like me :)
9 years ago



2 comments:
Ha ha ha ha! That is too awesome, I must admit :)
Grandpa was TOTALLY redeemed! Where do you think you got your clumsy tendency to spill food? Maybe that was passed down along with the sassy pants.
Post a Comment