I'm writing this post for completely selfish purposes.
See, I was attempting to write down some information the other day while on the phone and couldn't - for the life of me - find a pen with any ink or a pencil with a sharpened tip. I thought to myself, "I USED to have plenty of pens and pencils neatly organized next to the phone. That was then, and this is now..."
It got me thinking about how much my life has changed in the 9 1/2 years I've been a mother. And in a spurt of bad attitude I started making a mental list of all the things that I miss from my pre-parenthood years.
There are a lot of things on that list. I'm sorry, but it's true.
It wasn't exactly making me bask in the joy of my calling as mother.
The "nows" kinda seem like a bummer when compared to the "thens" of life. Lots of sacrifices, tears and prayers, and feeling in over my head as I try to raise 4 children.
But that's the crazy thing about being a parent. You see those little faces, and well....
Then I had:
Plenty of computer paper
Pens and Markers with ink
Sharp, non-sticky scissors
Staples in the stapler
Now I have:
Reams of paper with one small picture drawn in the middle
Dry pens and markers, broken pencils
Dull scissors with yogurt smears
Staplers stuck in my feet rather than in the stapler
And them
Then I had:
Clean windows, mirrors and sliding doors
Toothpaste free sinks and counter tops
Plenty of toilet paper
Towels hung on their hooks
Now I have:
Finger prints, lick marks and crayon art on all my glass
Blue and red toothpaste drizzles
Empty toilet paper rolls
Crumpled towels on the floor
And them
Then I had:
Salmon and steak dinners
Lindt truffles
Capitol Theatre
Olive Garden
Now I have:
Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs
Lindt truffles still... but eaten in the privacy of my locked bathroom!
Netflix and Redbox
McDonalds
And them
Then I had:
Mesquite and Las Vegas
New Orleans
Seattle
Jackson Hole
Moab, Moab, Moab...
Now I have:
The elementary school
Smoot and Founders Parks
Hogle Zoo
Dreams of Moab...
And a family.
So future Aspen, when the days are hard, the dishes are piling up, the garbage is stinking up the place and the phone won't stop ringing, read this post. And bask in the "now".




No comments:
Post a Comment