November 20, 2014

Freeze Frame

A day or so ago I had a realization of epic proportions.....

If I could freeze my children in time 
right now, I would.

We have reached a state of independence that is just precious to me.  Ms. Els is 11 now, as of last week, and she has started babysitting for us for an hour here and there.  Finally, freedom to run and grab a gallon of milk or snag a library book without taking my entire entourage with me.

At an IMAX field trip with Ms. Els

On the other end of things, JB is turning three next month!  He is potty training and doing just splendidly.  I've been done with daytime diapers for a little over a week now.  He can play happily while I shower, fold clothing, do dishes etc.  He helps out with little chores he can manage.  He sleeps anywhere and is easy to travel with.  He is good at the store, he can climb into his own car seat, he will even go visiting teaching with me and not be a total horror story.

JB putting away the clean silverware

For the most part people are now in charge of their own hygiene, bed making, and homework.  Sure, I am around to assist where needed, but these things are no longer my primary responsibility.  We have an effective and consistent chore chart, allowance is being paid and piano lessons are being taught.

Cadie lounging in the leaf pile

Three of the four children are in school all day, and while I don't seem to be any less busy, I am more free to schedule my "mom's chores" into the day in a way that works best for me.  I am no longer slave to the clock of  feedings, diaper changes and naps.  In fact, naps no longer break up my day at all.  Yes, some days I miss it, but more often than not I truly appreciate the freedom to be wherever, whenever.

The kids are witty, inventive, imaginative and still giggle all the time.  Yes, the poop and fart jokes are getting tired, but their little minds are growing and developing and they are becoming so much more interesting to spend time with.

J Bear showing off his "big" eyes

It's a sweet life!

I spent many years dreaming about getting to this point.  So many times I thought to myself, "I can't wait until they're a little older and we can go do ____ or _____ and it will be so great!"  Well, friends, I'm here.

And it terrifies me.  Because right now my biggest problem is getting the science fair project completed on time, or reprimanding some sass here and there.  Their world is still blissfully innocent of big problems.  We haven't been tempted by the smut of the world in our home, yet.

I feel it hovering ahead of me as I buy one size bigger shoes every month, or watch Ms. Els look at the cosmetic section with a wishful eye.

This phase, like all the others, is going to be too short.  The years are going to speed by in a way that will astound me.  I know this, because I am currently astounded by the speed that I went from new mom, to this place, here and now.

Sometimes - and I never thought I'd say this - I really do miss the days when I had my three little babies with me at home all day.  {JB wasn't born at that point, sorry, Bubba}.  The days were full of crying, pouting, messes, whining, fights, naps, bottles, potty training etc.  But when I look back I am grateful for those days that were easier in so many ways.  No school demands, no music/sports/electronics to contend with, no friend fights and nothing I couldn't handle.  They were labor intensive, but emotionally rewarding.

Now I look ahead and wonder how I'll get through what's coming.  What will the world tempt my babies with as they venture forward?  Drugs, alcohol, pornography.  Will one of them be bullied? Will there be accidents, health scares, and failures that I can't prevent?

I don't know.  I am sure that there will be happy times, of this there is no doubt.  However, I also know that there will be bigger problems and harder times as they grow and go through their own trials.... as we all must.

This past week as I've looked around me I've felt so aware of the gift of these years.  Years where my kids are still innocent, but independent.  Sassy, but loving.  Years where mom's voice is still louder than the world's voice.

Yes, if I could freeze time.....  
I'd keep them this way forever!





1 comment:

Diane said...

Great post! Great family!