December 23, 2014

Aging

I just got off the phone with my mom.  I must insert here that I dearly love the woman.  And I did tell her while we were talking that I was pretty much composing a blog post in my head with every word she said.  Ha ha.

The conversation - like so many - started off covering a topic we have already covered.

Mom:  Are you planning to spend New Year's Eve with us?

Me:  Uh, pretty sure we spoke about that already.

Mom:  Are you sure?

Me:  Yes.  Remember.  Steve has to work that day and you said something about the kids spending the night?

Mom:  Huh.  Well, that is starting to sound familiar.

Me:  Would this be a good time to tell you that yesterday when you called and were going over your "holiday schedule" with me that you left out the party at my house on Christmas Eve.  I didn't correct you because I didn't have the strength.

Mom:  {Laughs}  Come on, you're stronger than that!  Why didn't you correct me?

Me:  'Cuz I had already reminded you when you called to ask what kind of drinks people want, and then again when you asked about fruit, and then again when you said you couldn't play that song we all wanted to sing along to.  Last night I was just out of courage and couldn't take it on again.

Mom:  So I have short term memory problems.

Me: If I asked my friends I wonder how many of them would say that they have the same conversation with their parents repeatedly?  Dad remembered about Christmas Eve.  He texted me today to see what people wanted to drink.

Mom:  Ya, because I was standing next to him at the store and asked him to find out.  At least I'm not as bad as my friend.  She was telling us at yoga that the other day she got all dressed for church and couldn't figure out why her dress felt wrong.  Turns out after some investigating she was wearing her bra backwards.

Me:  {Laughing .... so.... hard}.  How is that even possible?

Mom:  {Laughing too} I know, wouldn't you notice those strange lumps on your back?

Me:  I'm thinking I'd be more aware of the sudden lack of lumps on my front, along with the terribly uncomfortable squeezing sensation.

Mom:  I mean, one time I wore my pants inside out, but when she told me her story I said to her "you win!"

Me:  {Graciously overlooking the comment about my mom wearing her pants inside out}  Ya, she wins.  I can't even imagine how that happens.

Mom:  Well, yesterday when I was at the store buying my new phone the kid working there told me that he was cutting something and accidentally cut his hand a little bit.  So I told him that was nothing.  One time I was putting up a bulletin board at school and opened up the stapler to staple up the border.  Only when I went to hit it with the palm of my hand I had it backwards and it put the staple into my hand.  I was younger then and still cared what people thought.  I was so embarrassed.

Me:  Oh my gosh.  Just, oh my gosh, Mom

Then the kitchen timer started ringing at my house and I honestly couldn't remember what it was for.

Me:  My timer is ringing and I don't know why.  Is someone in time out?  No.  Is the dryer finished?  No. . . . Wait!  It's the rolls in the oven.  They're done!

Mom:  I sure hope when you compose your blog you add that little tidbit!

Me:  In my defense I baked like 400 million things today.

Mom:  Speaking of baking.... what are you doing New Year's Eve? . . . .

1 comment:

Marla said...

OK, I laughed just as hard reading this as I did when we talked about it on the phone! I hope I will still be able to laugh in a few years when it "might" not be so funny when I forget things!