What do you do when your desires and the desires of your children are in direct conflict? I’m not talking about making beds, eating your veggies or putting your panties on the right way – heck, WEARING panties at all! I’m talking about snow.My girls have been complaining about the lack of snow for the past few days. How can it really be Christmas-time if there’s no snow?
I personally don’t see the problem. I think if it snowed on Christmas Eve and melted on Boxing Day we’d all be just fine. I also think the song “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” could only have been written by someone making movies in Hollywood, because they don’t get snow very often and they still consider it magical.
I find that I’m forced to lie to my children a lot more often than I should be comfortable with. I mean, every parent lies. Don’t pretend you don’t! Santa is the perfect example. I don’t care how you look at it… it’s a blatant untruth. Yes, there is historical accuracy in the story of St. Nicholas. But he wasn’t a chubby, red-suit-wearing, reindeer-driving, list-making old man. According to A Veggie Tales Christmas he lived in Greece. I’m calling “bunk” on that, but that’s just going with my gut.
Back to the subject at hand: Snow.
I’m getting too old for the white fluffy killer of warmth. When it began snowing yesterday my kids (and my DAD!!) were all excited. We were helping set up my parent’s Christmas tree when the snow began. My Dad says, “Oh good, it’s snowing. I’m going outside to put up the lights.” I looked at my mom for confirmation that my ears hadn’t abandoned functioning and she said, “He likes to put them up when it’s snowing. It’s more festive.”
Or crazy!
My girls trotted outside to join in the gaiety. I stayed inside and thought about starting up a space heater.
Later that day my girls went on and on about how excited they were for the snow. Once upon a time I felt that way too. Back when it wasn’t my job to shovel the drive-way, or mop up the snow drippings in the kitchen. Back when falling on the icy pavement didn’t hurt so bad. Back in the good old days of bladder control, when I could sled for hours without having to pee.
But, as Eliana made a snow-ball and launched it at my face (missing by at least a mile!) I momentarily saw the delight written on hers. Cadence was laughing while she threw snow in the air and even Joel was laughing from his vantage point on my hip as he reached his chubby hands out to catch flakes on them.
And when Eliana turned to me and said, “Isn’t this great Mom!” I was forced to lie. “Yep. It’s awesome.”
And reindeer can fly!

1 comment:
Yes, reading about your merriment at the parental's abode did bring me a bit of sad jealousy...but now I'm over it. :)
I guess you want what you can't have huh? I'd love to see snow and you'd love to have the warmer weather here...but switch and I'd complain about the snow probably. :)
Post a Comment