January 25, 2010

It was Nellie!!

A few years ago, back when we had TV reception rather than just a TV picture with some classical music instead of dialogue, Steve and I would watch Little House on the Prairie. That show is grade A, classic stuff! I’ve been watching it since I was probably 8 years old – maybe younger, maybe older, but I’m too lazy to find out when the show actually came on.


Anyhow, after watching how much trouble Nellie Oleson (I got the spelling right! I promise!) was always causing we decided that when something went wrong at our house we’d blame Nellie.

For example:
Who didn’t flush the toilet… AGAIN? Must have been Nellie.
Whose dirty dishes are still sitting on the counter? Nellie’s.

You get it.

Fortunately, I’m discovering that I can also use Nellie to cover up some of my less than stellar parenting moves.

For example:
Who taught them to give people the stink-eye? Nellie.
Who taught them the phrase “for the love…”? Nellie.
Who taught them to burp at the dinner table? Steve. Oh, I mean Nellie.


I feel like I’ve stumbled onto a gold mine with this whole Nellie idea. And, as a socially responsible person I felt it my duty to pass it on to you. Feel free to use it all you want. I will.

In fact, if I say something on this blog that you find offensive or stupid, it was probably Nellie typing it. She’s such a brat!

2 comments:

Camille said...

Good ol' Nellie. If only I could blame things like "how did I get so fat?" on her. :) Claire already has an out though, it's Batman...we are so proud.

Lacey said...

That's so funny-- when I was younger, my mom used to call me a little Nellie. I hated it, but it was true--I was a brat sometimes! I didn't think anyone else ever used her in this way!