March 10, 2010

Go Figure...

As mentioned in a previous post, the Hubster took a little spill and ended up herniating a disc in his back. Oopsie. It’s clear that he didn’t take me into consideration when he fell. It was a purely selfish move. (Okay, I can’t even type that with a straight face.)

Anyhow, due to the nature of his injury, it causes him incredible pain to drive his car. Pushing in the clutch hurts. Bad. So, being the giving and loving person I am, I offered to trade cars.

Let’s take a moment of silence here and reflect on the loss of my third row seating.


It’s been about two weeks now. Two weeks of pain. Two weeks of reading novels, watching movies and trying not to think about how bad it hurts. And I’m not talking about Steve. I’m talking about ME. I’m talking about the emotional and physical pain of shoving my three kids in the back seat of a compact car.

They pull hair, contort into strange positions to kick each other, claw faces and generally torture each other. Yesterday I finally snapped. Something broke inside of me and I decided to move my oldest into the front seat for a quick errand.

Yes, there was a lengthy debate in my mind over whether it’s an actual LAW that children under 12 be in back, or whether it’s a recommendation. Because if I’m not actually going to get pulled over and given a ticket, well, then giddy up. And hey, even if I did get pulled over, that cop would take one look at my 3 kids with their ragamuffin hair, scratched faces, puffy eyes and bloody noses and he’d escort me straight to Mrs. Cavanaugh’s!

Right up until I pulled over to make the ole switcheroo there had been a rip-roaring good fight going on in the back. Lots of "I hate you’s” and “You’re a stinky bum’s” had been flying around. However, the moment Ms. Els escaped to the front, the apocalypse hit in the form of Cadie Lu: ditched 4 year-old tsunami of anger.

She screamed, kicked, rolled out of her car seat, cried and completely lost mental control. All because her sister wasn’t sitting next to her anymore. Yep, the very same sister who she had just said, “I hate you” to. The same sister who is apparently a stinky bum. The same sister who may have a mild concussion.

Turns out its true: You can’t live with ‘em, and can’t live without ‘em.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

good chuckle. I feel your pain about stuffing your children in the car. Hang in there. Hope Steve heals real quick!

Camille said...

Brielle and Claire are that way. They fight and bug each other, but when one is gone or I separate them then it's like the end of the world. Kids.

Alison said...

So very funny! I love it. It makes me happy to know that my girls are not alone in their love/hatred for their sibling. FYI Will always drives with Lily in the front seat. I do not agree with this at all but he thinks that since it's a Jeep it should be aloud.

Emily said...

Pretty much your description of that event so reminded me of Camille and I growing up! Sisters always have a love/hate relationship. Lucky for you, being the eldest {and wisest I might add} you got some quality entertainment in the form of our wrestling matches :).