May 26, 2010

A Manly Man

I have to brag, I can't help it. I think my Hubster and I are doing a fantastic job of raising a Manly Man.

J. "You Wanna Piece of Me?" Hadley

I thought that - in keeping with my tradition of wanting to share knowledge - I'd pass along a few things we do at our house to raise a little Tough Guy.... you know, in case any of you out there are struggling with this.

In no particular order:

1 - From the moment you bring your man-child home, be sure to surround him with pink.

2 - Inundate him with Fancy Nancy, Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears.

3 - Routinely quiz him on the names and story lines of all the Disney Princesses.

4 - Provide only baby dolls and Barbies for play time.

5 - Keep purchasing of guns, cars, blocks, and balls to a minimum.

6 - Make sure even possible "boy" toys have a girlish spin. For example, we've provided J-Bear with a lovely toy lawn mower he can play with outside. It's pink and it blows bubbles.

7 - Play High School Musical and Hannah Montana soundtracks in the car. If you want to go the extra mile, provide pom-poms!

8 - Teach him the art of the "squeal". All manly men can shatter glass with their squeals of delight.

9 - Give him a firm example of how to dramatically react to any situation. Fall on the floor, stomp feet, slam doors and make sure those tears are pumping.

and finally

10 - Never, NEVER, tell that poor Paul Bunyon in the making to "Man up" or "Get over it". Allow him to experience his emotions and then use his words.

My heart goes out to those of you who have only boys in your home, as J's older sisters have been key elements in our success! You'll just have to work extra hard to teach your little Chuck Norris the ways of the world. Best of luck, and keep on reaching for the stars!

4 comments:

Austin and Whitney Cooley said...

Lol... good advice since I know i'm having a girl first, if I have a boy later I'm set!

Emily said...

Ha ha - lucky J-Bear - he'll be a ladies man because of it :)

Laurie said...

Love it! But I'll have to enlighten you, that having all boys does make me work extra hard. But not in trying to make manly men. But trying to contain the man, testosterone, farts, burps, WWF wrestling, pee on/by the toilet, the list goes on.
Um, so I guess you're on the right track? ha ha. You are awesome! I suppose you'll have to give him a little brother. ;)

Camille said...

I will keep these nuggest of information tucked away for if we ever get a boy. Or I will pass them on to Erik and Jodi...who are having their 5th boy. :)