June 27, 2010

A Word to the Wise

Because I care about you, my loyal readers (Hi Mom and Steve!), I'm offering up a tasty morsel of advice to keep you from looking like a huge putz at your next family function.

This past weekend was family-palooza for us. It began with a family reunion on my side, which went off without a hitch. I managed to keep from embarrassing myself too much and my kids acted with decorum and tact throughout the proceedings.

(This means that they happily played with pine cones and avoided loosing their shoes down the river)


The next day was a wedding on Steve's side of the family. It was lovely and I always enjoy the chance to go to the temple.... and be shushed yet again. Really, you'd think at my age I'd use a "temple voice", but I can't seem to muster up the strength to keep it down. My apologies to yet another cousin, A.E., who I dragged down with me.

Now, for the advice portion of this post. It would probably be in your best interest to do a little detective work and find out a bit about what is happening in the lives of your extended family before bumbling into a slightly uncomfortable situation.

(My bro-in-law recently asked about a deceased family member as though said person were still living. Big oopsies! Makes me look like Miss Manners!)

Anyhow, after the lovely temple ceremony we were waiting on the lobby for the grand exit of bride and groom. Hubs and I got to visiting with Uncle D. and he was mentioning having to get back to home state for church. I proceeded to do my usual guff-giving and went on and on about how it's okay to "get a sub" and "take a break". I mean, really, how dedicated do you have to be to your calling?

Then, I asked the question that probably should have been asked before my monologue on "getting over yourself". (Okay,I didn't actually say or think that - but needed to emphasize my sass level)

His response? "I'm the Bishop".

Oh, well, gee-willickers. Then I suppose getting a sub and taking a break isn't really going to happen. My bad.

And what was my response to his? "Well... huh... bet you don't know what my calling is either. Just sayin'!"

I always advise using extreme tact and humility in situations like that. You don't want to add to the tension.

Luckily for me Uncle D. is pretty great - not to mention his mad skills at talking like Donald Duck - and let me off the hook

See, this is why he's the Bishop and I'm just teaching primary.

Now please excuse me while I unwedge my foot from my mouth.

4 comments:

Scott and Emily said...

:o)

Dawnie said...

That is hilarious! I wish I would have been closer by to be a witness.

Allison said...

I was honored to be co-shushed with you in the temple.

Josh and Stacie said...

LOL ... so funny! I wish I'd been there for that one. Love your blog posts, thanks for the laugh!