November 19, 2010

You Get What You Get...

And you don't throw a fit!

This has become my new life motto. As I've sorted through my new reality post-loss, I've come to realize that sometimes you just have to make the best of the hand you're dealt.

Growing up we all have a picture in our minds of where we'll end up. And not to be a downer, but most of us don't end up exactly where we thought we'd be.

For some people marriage doesn't happen, or comes much later in life. Some people can't have children. Some people can't STOP having children. Some people live far from their families. Divorce and death are an unwanted reality for many.

But what it all comes down to is trying not to grieve for what we don't have, but to rejoice in what we do have.

Besides, who's to say that this new and different path won't end up being much better than the one we had planned!?!


Afterall, once upon a time I wanted to be a schoolbus driver...

3 comments:

Camille said...

We are definitely not where I expected, but things seem to work out. Good reminder to be happy with the things we do have! Although I have a hard time being happy about living away from home...but maybe I will try. Probably not though. :)

Elizabeth said...

I never expected to adopt. However, I wouldn't trade the many miracles that brought our kids into our family for anything in the world. I realize that it doesn't always seem like what's happening is what you want, but I do believe that Heavenly Father has a plan that's better for us than the one we have for ourselves.

Jolene said...

AMEN!