April 28, 2011

The NEW Golden Rule

It occurred to me today as I watched my overachiever neighbor mow his lawn for like the 4th time this season (totally unnecessary!) that there should be an addendum added to the golden rule.

Yes, it's important to "do unto others as you would have done unto you".  Too bad it isn't preventing any wars, but it works in small ways.

Anyhow, I think we should enlarge that to include "stop making others around you look bad" !!

So, I propose the following:

Skinny people stop wearing their cutesy little outfits around me.

Neighbors keep their yards in the same state as mine rather than trying to beautify. 

No one keeps a cleaner house, drives a nicer car, gets paid more money or has better behaved children.

It's hurting my feelings.  And that is NOT what the golden rule is all about.

Although, as I read this I think it kind of sounds like I'm proposing a more communistic society, which isn't entirely true. 

I am very open minded about poeple who live more than 50 miles away from me.  They can be as flashy as they want.  (Just keep your pictures off Facebook!)

The rest of you, please, lower your awesomeness and enjoy the dullness that is living like me :)

Won't it feel good to embrace mediocrity while sipping cokes and watching the dandelions grow??!!


You'll thank me for it....someday!

No comments: