July 10, 2011

The Gender Situation

Recently the Hubs and I have started discussing what the gender of Hadley # 4 will be.  Back when this pregnancy was new we both thought it would be a girl.  But then I consulted the age old wisdom of the Chinese Lunar Calendar and was told it would be a boy.  (Scoff all you will, but it's been correct with my last three!)  Suddenly I became convinced that those of Eastern wisdom know better than lowly me.
 

As the 20 week ultrasound has been speeding toward us, our debates have become more and more interesting as we take our corners and hunker down for the moment when one or the other of us gets KO'd in the ultrasound office.  Like any good sporting event, bets are being placed, and this past week Hubs threw down the ultimate wager.

Winner of the gender debate gets naming rights.  GASP!! 


I'm sure he was doing this to test my confidence in my new found determination that we're having a boy.  I stalled.  I hedged.  I asked him to give me time to think about it.  He began wearing a smug little smile as though he'd caught me doubting my maternal instincts.

However, I had a plan.  A sneaky, sneaky plan. 

This past week was my regular OB appt.  And my OB - partner in my attempted coup - has a handy dandy little new toy in the office.  A hand held ultrasound machine.  Because of my mental health issues regarding this pregnancy (ie - my worries about loosing another pregnancy), she's being doing a quick little ultrasound at each of my visits to help keep me off medication and moving forward.

I went in this week ready to charm her socks of with my witty dialogue and hopefully come away knowing just how hard to fight for my claim on the gender battlefront.   He he he he he....

I quickly told the doc of the war raging in the Hadley household.  She was willing to try to see the gender - for a price.  Middle naming rights.  Oooh, she's quick.  She didn't get to be a doctor for no reason.  I agreed.  Hello!  Wouldn't you if it meant certain victory over your spouse?!  Don't judge me.

Alas, baby was lounging casually in my belly, all stretched out and legs crossed.  Dang.  Turns out it's probably a girl, because in my experience boys have nothing to hide.

Something tells me our baby girl is going to be named Hank, or The Ricker, or Eustace Ingnatio.  And it will be my own darn fault....

4 comments:

MJ Dad and Nicholas said...

So cute whatever the name ends up being!

Camille said...

I have to say there was a small part of me that was starting to worry after telling Marty he had naming rights if we had triplet boys...thank goodness that didn't work out! I can't wait to find out what you are having!

Lacey said...

My hubby got naming rights to our two girls. We disagreed on whether or not to give them middle names. I gave him the first name if I could then give them middle names. It drove me nuts though, because he wouldn't tell me the name he'd chosen until I was in the hospital having the baby. It least when they grow up and don't like the name, I can blame it on Dad :)

Elizabeth said...

Ok so my plan is this... if I find the baby like I found the last two, I get to name them. It's only fair. Tell Steve that whoever delivers the baby gets final say. It's only fair, right? You do the work, you should be the one to name the kid.