October 22, 2012

Ironic Argument

Today I had the most gloriously ironic argument with Ms. Els.

This morning before school she mentioned that her throat was hurting.  No shock there.  We spent this past long weekend with my parents, siblings, spouses and all 10 grandkids.  My sister - CAMILLE - took great care to infect the rest of us with the nasty crud that her family was carrying. 


I told Ms. Els to feel free to call me if she got to feeling worse during the course of the school day.  This meant that I was expecting a call at 8:52 a.m.  (School starts at 8:50).

Said call came in at high noon.

I give her snaps for hanging in there.

She explained that her throat was now so sore that she could hardly function.  I told her I'd drive up and inspect her and we'd decide if she needed to be checked out or not.  I filled my purse with drugs and reminded myself to show compassion.

I should have called that dastardly sister of mine - CAMILLE - to handle this for me!  But, I did not.

Upon inspection I decided she felt a little feverish.  Her eyes were bloodshot, her breath reeeeeeked!  I believe something was dying in her throat!

I began walking over to the computer to check her out and she flipped.  She totally morphed from suffering, pitiful, weak 3rd grader to rage filled gorilla who's last banana was just stolen.

crazed and bloodshot eyes....shudder!

So, I did what anyone in my shoes would do.  I found my mommy.  How convenient for me that my mom teaches at the same school my kids attend.  I told Ms. Els that Grandma could be the tie breaker.  If Grandma felt Els was okay to stay then I'd dose her and leave.  If Grandma agreed with me, then Ms. Els would be checked out and come home.

Yep.  I'm in my mid-ish 30s, a mother of 4, and still making my mom be the bad guy for me! {ha ha!}

Grandma agreed with me.  Ms. Els was not at peak performance.

And the ape went berserk!

Seriously!  She may not have even been human
for a few minutes there.  Scary stuff!

She threw such a royal fit about having to go home that I had three mom volunteers and two teachers stop in the hallway to ask if everything was okay! 

Imagine the grin on my face when I told them we were fighting because Ms. Els DIDN'T want to go home, and I WANTED to take her out of school.

It was glorious.

I almost wavered for a few minutes.  I mean, seriously, why not let her just stay?  At home she'd probably whine and cry and want to follow me around all day.  But at school she'd infect the other kids and then those other moms would be mad at me.

In the end it came down to this.  "Grandma said you're sick, and since she's my mom I have to do what she says"......

The irony wasn't lost on me.  Not at all.

Thanks Grandma!

1 comment:

Camille said...

Ahhh...thanks for making sure to throw me under the bus. In my defense however, we didn't have sore throats. So maybe she picked this up somewhere else.

I do love that she called you about being sick, and then refused to leave. What the heck?? Love that kid.