October 25, 2009

It's like pulling teeth...

I never realized just how appropriate the expression “It’s like pulling teeth” is to describe an impossible and frustrating situation, until I found myself doing just that – pulling teeth.

A few months back Eliana started growing a 2nd set of teeth behind her front bottom teeth. (Sorry, hard to paint a picture with words). The new “adult” teeth have taken their sweet time in moving forward and knocking out the “baby” teeth.

It’s been …well… a bit much… to deal with. In a more, shall we say, emotionally stable child, this would not have been a big deal. With our sweet Els, however, we’ve gone the full rollercoaster in regards to these darn teeth.

Phone calls to the dentist (told to be patient, nature will take care of it), phone calls to friends (Uh… WHERE are her new teeth?), consultations with the hubby (start calling her “Shark” and she’ll pull them out herself!), repeat calls to the dentist (can’t we sedate her…or possibly me?), and even dark alley meetings with the younger sister offering her candy galore if she’ll “accidentally” punch out said teeth during a typical morning wrestling match.

This past weekend it all came to one horrifying head. She was playing and bumped something hard on her teeth. I heard a terrible shriek from the playroom – land of lost fishy crackers – and she came barreling out and jumped in my lap holding her mouth. The most dreaded thing in her well-ordered 5 year-old world had just occurred. Her little bump in the mouth had loosened the tooth. Let the weeping and wailing begin.

The incident happened around 10:00 am on Friday. I’m not sure how she was able to make it to school that day, but she was in no shape to handle the stresses of life after school. She slunk around the house in excruciating pain as her tooth wiggled freely. She couldn’t eat, she couldn’t drink, she couldn’t sleep – it might fall out and she’d swallow it. Life was no longer worth living. She’d never be completely whole again. She was being scarred for life by my laughter. (Kidding… sort of)

After much perserverance, I finally talked her into taking nourishment on Saturday afternoon. Yes, a full 24+ hours later. And wouldn’t you know it; as she feebly attempted to take a bite of lunch, out popped the tooth.

Eliana (drying her tears and clearing her throat): Uh… I think I just lost my tooth.
Me: Really?
Eliana: Yep. It just fell into my hand. (Stops crying and smiles jubilantly) That wasn’t bad at all!! Pass me a steak….

One little tooth down. A bazillion to go....

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's way funny. Caleb hasn't lost a tooth yet. He does check his teeth every day to see if any are loose. No such luck though.

Dawnie said...

Good thing this first one didn't hurt. Otherwise, the rest would be a bigger feat. I can't believe how fast Eliana is growing up. We love her dearly and loved hearing the story of her lost tooth.

Camille said...

It's craziness I tell you! How dare she lose a tooth without asking me if it was okay to do so! She can't possibly be old enough for that!

P.S. Almost cried seeing the pic of the week - is that really my tiny little Joel?! How has he grown up so much in 2 months???

Lisa said...

Hey Aspen! I just linked to your blog from your Facebook. This is some good stuff. It's good to see you're just as funny and sarcastic as always. Cute kids!

Emily said...

Ah the trauma of the first tooth - I remember losing my first one, unfortunately for me it was in the second grade WAY after everyone else had lost their first so I didn't get much attention. Let Eliana live it up!