April 27, 2010

Long Live The Queen

You know, I'm not one to be a killer of people's dreams or anything, but I'm pretty sure my daughter is going to be one disappointed puppy when she grows up. You see, she thinks that all she has to do is plow through life until she becomes a wife and mother, at which time she'll have it made. In her words, "I'll be able to do whatever I want"

Once upon a time I too was a fair and naive maiden. Being a stay at home mom looked mighty fantastic from the point of view of a child. I was pretty sure that my mom's life consisted of laughing on the phone, baking goodies and taking us on fun outings. She had no boss, no one filling out a job chart for her. Her life was her own. (Apparently I paid about ZERO attention to her while I was growing up!)

Now I look back at those innocent thoughts of youth and want to smack my young self upside the head. There has never been a time in my life where I had less freedom than I do now.

I don't have a boss, sure. That part is true. However, the only power I have is deciding if I'll do laundry on Monday or Tuesday, because not doing laundry isn't an option. Yep, I don't have a job chart, but that's because my jobs are too numerous to fit on a chart.

As far as laughing on the phone, baking and outings...well.... my phone-laughter can be heard alongside the sweet sounds of doing dishes. Baking just isn't worth the mess. And I've been scarred for life by recent outings, making me unwilling to venture forth anytime soon.

So, Ms. Els, don't try so hard to grow up. Even though you don't see it now, these are the years where you can run wild and crazy with no worries and no one depending on you. There is flexibility and freedom in being a 6 year-old with a gap-tooth grin.

Before you know it your dreams will come true. You'll have the house and kids and the illusion of being in charge. But for now, I'll be the mom and carry the burden of raising a family.

That's what my mom did for me. And that's what you'll do for your children. Someday.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Seriously - Brielle always says that she can't wait to be grown up so she can do whatever she wants too. Little do they know. Love the picture by the way - mostly because Els is all dressed up and fancy and the rest of you, well, aren't. :)

DizzyLizzy said...

I am thinking that your little Miss Els and my Mr. Carterboy would make a very great match!!!!!!
Thanks for making me laugh - A LOT!!!!