August 1, 2010

Wisdom of the Ages

My grandparents have been in town for the past week and I've enjoyed listening to their stories about growing up, and waxing nostalgic for my own youth in the process.

I always have a great time with them and come away feeling lighter and very blessed to have such a great family.

That said, I must share with you a little gem I took away from Grandpa yesterday.

(Unlike most of my other pics, this is my actual grandfather.)

We were all sitting around shooting the breeze - which that branch of the family does with exceptional skill - and regaling each other with tales of adventure. (I realized this weekend that we are ALL cursed!)

I don't remember exactly what was said, but Grandpa made a comment to which my brave cousin, M, made a sassy remark.

What was Grandpa's loving and warmly fuzzied reply?

"M, if I want something out of ya, I'll slap it out of ya."

Ah, thanks for the laugh Grandpa. My sides still ache. 82 years old and going strong!! I hope to be just like you when I grow up.

For those of you who think I already harbor some similarity to my Grandpa, what with my often sassy or somewhat zingy replies, well, I can't help myself.

It's genetic.

2 comments:

Austin and Whitney Cooley said...

How can you not love those two. I think we all got grandpa's smart sassyness, lol

Camille said...

Love it! I have got to start using some of these things on my kids! ;)