Whenever people ask - and really, they shouldn't - about the possibility of future Hadley's gracing the earth, I can't help but think about the uphill battle my kids will have. See, sadly for them, thanks to me, they are predisposed to be klutzes. Huge klutzes. Around lunch time today I got a phone call from a teary Ms. Els up at the elem school saying she'd taken a tumble at recess and was now bleeding from various places on her face. The school secretary got on the line and told me that I should probably at least come take a look at the damage before I decided whether or not to have her tough it out for the remaining hour of the day (early out Friday).
So, I loaded up the two sibs and we headed up to the school. There I discovered that Ms. Els had sustained a bloody nose, split lip and cut gums. She didn't look too fabulous. My soft and tender mother's heart couldn't leave her there to suffer through the last hour of school. (Translation: My mom would have made me suck it up and stay and I've always wished she'd shown a speck of mercy during my childhood. Sorry Mom. It's the truth. Ask my sibs.)
On the way home Els asked me if this sort of thing had ever happened to me. Oh, ho, ho.... has it ever!! I know of at least two times in my childhood that I knocked myself completely unconscious on playground equipment.
One of those times was in the 5th grade. I was trying to double skip on the monkey bars - skipping two bars at a time. I had gone one successful round, so I called my friends over to show them my new mad skills. However, something went wrong that time and my hand slipped off the bar. I fell, knocked the side of my head on the post holding up the monkey bars, and woke up after recess was over. TRUE STORY!
My faithful friends (the only people left on the playground) were sitting next to me in the sand apparently waiting for me to wake up. Nice. Would have been even kinder of them to find ground duty and report the fact that I was laying comatose in the sand... but... we were 10. They did what they could.
After regaining consciousness, they helped me hobble into the office where the school nurse lady gave me an ice pack to put in my injured face and then called my mom.
"LUCKY" me, it was the day of the 5th grade maturation class and my mom was heading down already to attend that special occasion with her oldest girl. Tender.

So I'm a weaker woman that my mom was. But, I can guarantee, that as a grandma my mom would have not only checked her out of school, but given her a piggy back ride to the car and swung by McDonald's on the way home for a healing shake. Then she would have massaged her feet while spoon feeding her the ice cream and whispering words of comfort.
Anyhow, back to the point. I'm pretty sure Ms. Els is just following in the illustrious footsteps of her forebearers (that being me, and several people on my mom's side of the family). At least I'll be able to be sympathetic.
Although, I will admit that I burst out laughing when she told me how she'd done it. It would appear that she was running for one of those bars you can swing on. Even she is a little unsure of how her hands missed the bar entirely and she instead caught it with her face.... ha ha...
You just can't fight these genes baby.



10 comments:
My mom would NEVER have checked me out either. And yes, she would have checked her grandchild out, stopped for ice cream on the way home and then let them turn on a movie or play video games for the rest of the day. Followed by their favorite dinner. I'm quite certain that she likes my kids better than she liked me.
My mom wouldn't have checked me out either and there is no way she would have even come down to the school and I would have had to walk my butt home. She is still pretty tough but I think she would at least pick my kids up after school. Will's mom now that is a different story. She would have shown up at the school crying over their misfortune.
First of all I feel sooooo SORRY for you poor little darlings whose mothers were soooo INSENSITIVE!!
Second of all let's not all forget that my dear sweet Aspen has a "SLIGHT" tendency to embellish her tales....just saying!
p.s. I did laugh my head off when I read this posting!! I don't remember a thing about this monkey bar accident!! haha
It's a good thing that I work for a healthcare organzation with a hefty FSA plan... :) I'm pretty sure that's the entire reason that Aspen hasn't divorced the "hubs" yet. ha ha ha!
I like how mom doesn't remember you getting knocked out at school. She probably doesn't remember laughing at me when she came to see my eyes swollen shut after I popped a blood vessel too. In elementary I just started resorting to calling Gwen to come get me from school when I was sick. I'd go there, she'd let me sleep on her recliner and then call mom later to let her know I was there because I couldn't get ahold of her earlier. :) I'm crafty.
Oh my heck!! I'm the wicked witch of the west who doesn't remember any of this!!!!
When do we get to stop telling horror stories about me.....I tell you I'm a perfect grandma...haha
So true! You do have a tendency to injure yourself and it has been passed on to your children - I'm nervous Brooklyn will inherit it as well... poor Els! I'm glad you went to get her, we all know Mom wouldn't have gotten us! Dad on the other hand, he saved me a few times :) {Probably cause he didn't know any better, ha ha!}
My comment on this post was getting so long I had to give up and make it a post on my own blog.
Short version: I feel ya! I'm concerned about what my kids are in for (poor boys! I think it's harder on boys to be so klutzy).
That is an awesome story. I still remember by first glimpse at your klutzyness when you drove into the bushes right before your engagement pictures. Your kids (and you) are in for a fun ride!
Post a Comment