We struggled with the math, but believe that this year was our 7th year. The details get a little sketchy because we're pretty much always functioning with pregnant brains that have been out of high school for... what...2 years, give or take 15? Anyhow, long enough to need a smart phone and some m&m's while we think.
SEVEN YEARS!! And that's not to mention the 10 or 11 years - now I can't remember - we've been getting together monthly for potluck dinners and chit chat. Even beyond that is the fact that many of us have known each other since elementary school, group dated to high school dances, and then went on to room together in college and afterwards. That, my dear reader, is commitment.
* Death of a parent
* Family members fighting cancer
* Job Loss
* Miscarriage
* Birth of two babies (number 4 for both, this can be considered a bit challenging)
* Two surprise pregnancies (yes, at least two of us have to be preggers at each weekend get-away)
* Family members struggling with addictions and other problems
Suffice it to say that trials are no respecter of persons. There is not one lady, yes, LADY, amongst my friends who has been free from these and many other struggles.
But what I LOVE about these friends of mine is that we still laugh. Sure, we cry together and we talk about serious things happening in our lives. But then we deal up a mean game of Canasta, stir up some cinnamon bear popcorn and laugh about the trials too. Because humor can be found in every situation, even when you're father is taking his last breath and startles you all into laughter.
Thank you so much, ladies, for reminding me of this. Thank you for showing me how to handle my life and my worries with grace and humor and for reminding me that I have many, many shoulders to lean on. I'm sorry that I'm not learning that grace thing so well, but you've got a few more years to work on me :)
In closing, I'd like to dedicate to you all this quote I found. Because, yes, we really ARE old enough to be doing this...
Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what the hell happened.
-Cora Harvey Armstrong-
-Cora Harvey Armstrong-
Love ya,
Aspen




4 comments:
Thanks and love ya too! I am glad that we can still be young on the inside! Missed you guys!
Aww, I think I'll just copy/paste your words into my blog. I am so glad we all have eachother!
Who would inappropriately laugh during their father's last breath? hahaha- I love that we have each other to laugh with, cry with, and make fun of when warranted!
Well said Aspen as always. Wow I need to stop missing Park City and other nights. I could use a good laugh right about now!
Post a Comment