I've had a bit of a struggle going on ever since a tiny Ms. Els pointed at her nipples in the tub around age 2 and said, "What are this funny little thingies?".
At that point in her life I was able to just say, "Oh, it's your chest" and she was satisfied. But then came the pointing at my "chest" and asking what "those big thingies" were. And what are you supposed to tell a kid? Do you go with the proper name, "Oh, those are my breasts", which sounds WAY strange coming out of my mouth, let alone out of a toddler's? But somehow telling her, "Oh, those are boobs" is awkward and sounds kind of flippant.
I went with breasts. And I was right. When I overheard her telling Cadie Lu a while later it sounded odd in their little girl voices.
I was pretty worried when J-Bear began potty training and I knew that at some point I would have to instruct him to hold his privates while aiming. I hadn't quite decided what to call that part of his anatomy. I mean, technically we all know what it's really called, but somehow having a little boy refer to his parts as, well, a penis sounds gross. (I don't even like to use that word and had to wash my hands off with soap after typing it). But I also am not a fan of all the other little names they can be called.
Luckily for me J-Bear named it himself one day while I was kind of pointing in it's general direction and telling him he'd need to aim. He said, "oh, you mean my pee-pee?" I smiled and happily accepted that we'd be calling it that for now.
After many, many viewings of America's Funniest Home Videos on Netflix my children naturally became curious about the amount of times they see video of men getting hit in the crotch. And the questions came up again about that part of the male anatomy. I told Cadie Lu to just call it his "privates". I feel good about that. It isn't disrespectful or crude and it isn't too babyish.
Just days later we saw yet another crotch hit video and Cadie said, "Oooh, that guy just got hit in his privates" to which Ms. Els replied rather condescendingly "Uh, it's called his junk."
OH NO! No, no, no, no, no.
After all my worries and trying to keep my kid from being the one going around calling things weird names, we were not failing now. Junk? Were did she even hear that? I mean, I'VE heard that, but I'm sure not saying it to the kids! I'm to busy calling it a pee-pee and avoiding taking the next step to more mature words.
She's been instructed to call it privates.
And I thought the conversation was over.
But no.
The other day while getting ready for the bath J-Bear comes in naked and just before getting into the tub he points at part of his pee-pee and asks me what it's called.
ME: Uh, that's your pee-pee, Buddy. Get in the tub please.
J: No, not that part. This part under here.
(If you don't know what he was pointing to, you will....)
ME: Uh, well, uh.... (in my mind I'm thinking AACCKK. GET IN THE TUB AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!)
J: Mom? Are you listening? I said what is it's name? What's it called?
I caved.
ME: Well, Buddy, those are your testicles. (Correct name won out. Much like my girls being told they're breasts. He's so getting beat up on the playground)
J: Tetsisles? (Obviously he can't even say it right)
ME: Yep.
J: Wow! That's just amazing!
And he looked up at me with a huge grin on his face like I'd just told him the best thing.
Amazing? Huh.
Nice.
And I guess to kids that's what it's all about. It shouldn't be uncomfortable. They don't care what it's called, they're too busy discovering their body and it's fantastic abilities. God didn't make mistakes when he put together our beautiful bodies. Every part has it's function and kids appreciate that.
Eventually they will go to school and their peers will instruct them in all the crude and terrible names for various body parts.
Until then I can focus not on what the names of those parts are, but on the gift of perfect little bodies with AMAZING possibilities.
![]() |
| My beautiful baby |





3 comments:
I had an interesting story yesterday on this same subject. I'll have to tell it in person though as I don't think the internet is ready for that kind of thing. Jake and one that I sure didn't want to explain about a year ago. I did want all uncomfortable moms do and told him to ask dad when he got home and hoped he'd forget about it. He sure didn't!
So great, I think we all struggle with what to call what and answering questions. We have a weiner fest going on at the Lorenzon's. And we too use the term pee-pee, then privates, and now thanks to Kungfu Panda they call the other part their tenders.
Fun stuff.
Haha. Oh this is my favorite post ever. I love Els. =D
Post a Comment