A few days ago I was doing the typical morning duties – making beds, begging children to eat and get dressed, trying to pee in privacy etc. For some reason that song from The Sound of Music popped into my head. You know, the song listing the nanny’s favorite things. However, on that chilly morning while I was knee deep in a 3 year-old meltdown and my baby had just pulled the TV off my dresser, successfully breaking it, I began to substitute the cheerful lyrics with a more cynical version of the song. I thought I’d share:

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS – The Cynical Cut
Raindrops on windows, my breath smells like kittens
Bright smiles before dawn, with Barney they’re smitten
Brown smelly diaper, my nostrils they sting…
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored shirt now it sports some nice doodles
Doorbells and cell phones and burning the noodles
Wild kids that jump high and ruin the couch springs
These are a few of my favorite things
Girls playing kung-foo with ribbons and sashes
Allergic reaction, I’ve lost all my eyelashes
Searching the house for my darn wedding rings
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I call out for Dad(dy)!!

4 comments:
Hilarious! Isn't motherhood just so fantastic?
Sums it up perfectly!
Mom was right - that is way funny and quite creative of you! I had a good laugh, that one should be written in the journal :)
That was perfectly said! You have an adorable family, hope that everything is going just as it should, no one said that being a mom would be easy but it is the best job in the whole wide world!
Post a Comment